Awesome Nutty Chocolate Cherry Brownies
By Mel Green
Brownies are the ultimate guilty pleasure, and these brownies are sure to satisfy your chocolatey needs.
To make 12 brownies...
- 209g coconut oil (measured while solid)
- 115g dark cooking chocolate (at least 70% cocoa solids)
- 200g dark muscovado sugar
- 56g whole hazelnuts, toasted and roughly chopped (optional)
- 35g dried cherries, roughly chopped (optional)
- 3 eggs
- pinch of salt
- 96g plain flour
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees.
- Create a bain marie by placing a glass or heat-proof bowl over a pan of boiling water, making sure that the water does not touch the bottom of the bowl. Once the pan of water has come to the boil, turn the heat right down. Place the coconut oil and chocolate into the bowl and sit over the pan to melt.
- Take the chocolate mixture off of the heat once completely melted and add in the brown muscovado sugar, stirring to combine.
- Add into the mixture the chopped hazelnuts and cherries.
- Make sure the chocolate mixture has cooled slightly before adding the eggs. If the mixture is too warm, the eggs will scramble.
- Add the eggs and mix together using a spatula for about 30 seconds to thicken the mixture. Then fold in the flour and salt until the mixture is fully combined.
- Pour the mixture into a brownie pan using the spatula to scrap the mixture out of the bowl. Use the spatula to spread the mixture flat to all corners of the brownie pan. Bake in the preheated oven for approximately 20-25 minutes. The less time you bake the brownies for, the more fudgy the brownies will be.
- There may be a some oil sitting on top or around the edges of the brownie, but don't worry, this will be absorbed back into the brownies when you take them out of the oven. It might be torture, but leave them to cool for at least 10 minutes.
- Enjoy these deliciously gooey brownies warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.