American-Style Blueberry Pancakes (v)
Blueberry pancakes are my all-time favourite breakfast meal. Normally I make crêpe-style pancakes, but recently decided to try out American-style versions. They were a great success with me and my family who loved them! This a perfect recipe to try out on Pancake Day (13th February 2018).
- 200g self-raising flour
- 1 large egg
- 125ml semi-skimmed milk
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tsp. finely grated lemon zest (optional)
- 130g blueberries, rinsed and drained, and any stalks removed
- 1-2 tbsp. sunflower oil
- 4-6 tbsp. natural or vanilla yoghurt, to serve
- Drizzle of honey, to serve
- Start by placing the flour into a mixing bowl and crack the egg into the middle. Slowly whisk in the milk. Add the salt, and the lemon zest (if using), then the blueberries.
- Stir to combine. The mixture should be smooth, but also thick and gloopy.
- In a medium sized frying pan, add about a tablespoon of oil and place on a medium heat. Once the oil is hot, tilt the pan to cover the base with oil.
- Using a small ladle, pour the mixture carefully into the pan. You should be able to fit 2-3 pancakes at once, depending on the size of your pan.
- They should take approximately 5 minutes to cook; they should be golden brown on the bottom before being flipped and cooked for another few minutes. *
- Depending on the size of your pancakes, serve 2-3 per person. Add a dollop of yoghurt and a drizzle of honey, and any extra fruit if you want, before serving.
* A good gauge to know when to flip your pancakes is when the bubbles come up to the surface of the pancakes.